Home Image Map

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Top Five Books That Will Have You Reaching for a Box of Tissue!

Ok, so I've gotten a little softer in my old age.   Motherhood has made me a permanently weepy person--for all sorts of reasons...happy moments, time passing, lyrics of a beautiful song, a memory of someone I'm missing, or a happy time in my past.  It's gotten to the point where I have a hard time making it through read aloud in my classroom.  On more than one occasion, I've had to have a student read a chapter of a book for me, or ask my mom read to my class during library time.  I just can't do *certain* books without a heavy duty windshield wiper attached to my glasses.  Here's my top five list of books that have me reaching for a box of tissue!!

1.  Charlotte's Web (E.B. White):  You know the chapter I'm talking about...when the fair is coming to an end and Charlotte lets Wilbur take her egg sack in his mouth.  I'm crying already as I type this!  I get heart palpitations as this chapter creeps closer and closer.

2.  The Story of Ruby Bridges (Robert Coles):  Ok, if you can make it through the part where Ruby is praying for the angry mob as she attempts to go to school without a dry eye, then you're made of steel.

3.  The Christmas Day Kitten (James Herriot):  Mrs. Pickerings has a special spot in heaven for allowing the momma stray kitty to have her babies next to her warm fire before dying.  I can not, will not, and won't read this to my class again. I make that ugly crying sound and can't even get to the end of the book!

4.  Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes (Eleanor Coerr):  Beautiful story.  Couldn't believe the journey it took me and my students on.  The kids were even crying.

5.  Nubs:  The True Story of a Mutt, a Marine, & a Miracle (Brian Dennis):  Dog lovers beware--this true story of loyalty and friendship between a Marine and a stray dog will have you sobbing.

 What are some books that have you reaching for a box of tissue?


No comments:

Post a Comment